Thursday, January 5, 2012

Turning Twenty Quilt

 Turning Twenty Quilt

With the new year came my excitement to start my first quilt! Pieceful gave me 20 fat quarters and a Turning Twenty pattern as a Christmas gift. Of course, I tried to pace myself so I could remember to take pictures along the way.

Set Up

Here is my set up for my cutting station. Living in a small one bedroom, my cutting table is my kitchen table. My cutting mat just fits with just a bit of extra space at the end for my cutting accessory essentials. My tool-cup (made for me by Pieceful), my scraps jar, and most important...my iPod station. I find cutting very stressful, so mellow tunes in the background are a must.

Measure Twice, Cut Once

How many times have I heard my Dad mutter these words in his workshop? Well, I found myself muttering them to myself! But it worked! Here is my 'test cut'. After successfully cutting out this single piece I was able to stack four fat squares at a time. The total cutting time took approximately 45 minutes. I probably could have done it in 30, but that measure twice thing took a few extra minutes. A few extra minutes well spent in my book! I cut out my entire quilt without any tears, cussing or emergency calls to Mum!


Blocks

With cutting out of the way, it was time to get sewing! In the pattern, it suggested to try randomly sewing the pieces together. I didn't buy into that. I did lay out what it would look like with random selections...but it didn't look right at all! I spent a good amount of time re-arranging until the layout suit me better. 

Here is a photo of my first block! This is 'Block A' of which I made sixteen. The other four were 'Block B' and had the longer piece sewn on the other side.

Rows

Four blocks and an two end strips combined to create five separate rows. Here is a picture of my first complete row. Please excuse my appearance! I was on vacation and had yet to shower when the picture was taken!

Stay Tuned

I ran out of hours in my day, but next weekend will be spent assembling the rows to complete my quilt top!

Respectfully,
Harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment