Sunday, January 29, 2012

The color orange

I am a born and bred New England gal and the color orange has always symbolized fall for me. This weekend really broadened my horizons concerning the color orange. We attended the Kumquat Festival in Dade City, FL on Saturday. The downtown streets of historic Dade City are closed off and close to 30,000 people descend on the city for a day of kumquat tasting and street vendors. One of the quilt groups in the area exhibited challenge items featuring the color orange and there was not one pumpkin to be seen! The browns , reds and forest greens I usually pair with orange were replaced with sunny yellows,lime greens and aqua. I must say I thought the colors were stunning together. Large quilts, small quilts, miniatures, clothing and miscellaneous items were nicely displayed . We all had a chance to vote in every category for the People's Choice.
I loved everything I saw so this was VERY difficult indeed. I will be looking at my orange stash in a different way now!

I will be posting a picture of a black and white flimsy in the next few days. I just need to get some borders on and decide on a backing. I plan to machine quilt this myself when I return to Maine. A partial finish for my first Christmas present of 2012! Yeah me!

In stitches,
Pieceful

1 comment: