Saturday, August 13, 2016

Summer Sewing

T-Shirt Quilt

Good afternoon, Harmony here!

Earlier this year a friend of mine asked me about creating a wall hanging for a dear friend of his. This friend was a professor for the University of Southern Maine College of Music. An incredible conductor and inspirational teacher, he touched many lives throughout his career in academics and conducting a Youth Summer Music Camp. This spring a large alumni concert was put together to celebrate his retirement. The music was moving and the atmosphere was one of a kind. I sent a piece of muslin along with that friend to the concert and he had other alumni sign and write messages on it. This provided the backing to the wall hanging. It's not often a quilt starts from the back! For the front we decided to use t-shirts from various years of the music camp he conducted at. 


The colors I had available were tough to bring together, so I decided for a simple black. I kept the quilting to a minimum so that it wouldn't distract from the lovely messages on the backing! Below is Dr. Martin receiving his gift from our friend Pat!


This was my first time sewing with t-shirts and I'd say I would do it again!

Respectfully,

Harmony

Stay Tuned!

Next blog will show sewing machine covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment