Monday, January 18, 2016

Studio Set Up


 Studio

Today's blog post is a chance to show you my current set up of our 'creative space'. We are calling it our studio because not only is it my sewing space, but it also serves the purpose of a music practice and recording space as well!


The studio is upstairs. Right at the top of the stairs actually! Above is my sewing station as seen right as you turn off the stairs. As you can see, the space has sloped ceilings. Luckily I'm not too tall! I can stand upright at this iron and not hit my head as long as I don't grow another inch :)
 
  
 
As you might be able to see from the first picture above, my table is set up on bed risers. I really like this height! It is perfect for cutting. I often spend an entire afternoon cutting and packaging two or three projects at once to get it done so that I am more likely to sew throughout the week. This setup allows for longer stints of cutting without the back ache! The first picture is poor representation of lighting in the space though so I took a picture from the other direction. The doorway you see is the bedroom. I have also found that I really like the half wall by the stairwell because it allows me to lay out pieces of projects not in use! You'll notice that for this sewing project I was using a stool. I like the stool the best, but adding a cushion put me just a bit too high. This cushion does work well with the chair you see off to the side for days I want a back rest. But if I were to be 100% truthful, I spend most of my time sewing standing up!


 Again, this was taken from the top of the stairs. This angle shows that I haven't COMPLETELY taken over the room. Opposite the sewing side, we have a lovely practice area. Complete with an area rug, keyboard, amp, bookshelf and (further to the left) an instrument storage nook. PS Hubby would DIE if he knew I posted a picture of him in is jammies!

There! A better picture of him to make up for it! This is us on a typical afternoon home!

Music and Sewing


 So the music teacher in me is wondering does anybody else listen to music while sewing? I find it help pass time during projects that have repetition! If the sewing is straight forward I tend to choose music I can sing along to, but for projects that need more focus I'll chose something more classical or instrumental so that I don't get as distracted! I know Pieceful likes audio books while she sews.

Just Because


 Here is the view from my front porch! We live in Aroostook County, which is potato country. I took the first picture before school one morning in the fall. The tractors were getting ready to head out and harvest. By the time I got home from school they were done with the portion of field directly in front of the house and the farmer waved me over and said I could come pick any leftover potatoes to keep. I filled my crate and we have plenty of 'taters to get through the winter!

Stay Tuned!

Hopefully I will have a finished product or two to show off in the next post!

Respectfully,

Harmony

No comments:

Post a Comment