Saturday, February 18, 2012

Loom Knitting Basics

Loom Knitting Basics

Just recently I have taken to loom knitting. It is simple and quick! Today I want to share with you a few the basics. For further information I would direct you to YouTube. There are many great tutorials and informational videos there that really helped in my decision to give this craft a try.

The Tools


There are long looms and round looms and round looms. Both sets of looms can make flat panels or continuous panel. (creating a tube) depending on how the stitches are cast on.


In loom knitting a  hook is the tool used to maneuver the yarn instead of needles.

The General Idea


A basic slip knot gets you started on the anchor peg which is the only peg on the side of the loom. This peg secures your stitches for the first few rows so that your work doesn't slip off.


The most common stitch is the E-Wrap as seen above. Beginning with the peg closest to the anchor I wrap each peg moving around the loom counter clock-wise. Notice how when I've wrapped the yarn around the peg the yarn crosses over itself on the inside of the circle? This give me a good flat surface of yarn on the outside of the circle to maneuver with my hook. Also notice that I am using two strands of yarn at one time. This is common in loom knitting to create a thicker weave. In order to begin knitting I need two rows of stitches on the pegs. A common mistake of beginners is to wrap too tightly. You want to have some give to your yarn so that you can maneuver it with your hook.

Creating a Continuous Panel


 Above is an example of how to create a Continuous Panel. Once I have one row of stitches on (like the previous picture in the General Idea section) I continue E-Wrapping the pegs moving counter clock-wise around the loom until all pegs have two stitches.

Continuous Panels are used for hats, bags, slipper toes etc.
Creating a Flat Panel


 Above is an example of how to create a Flat panel. Instead of continuing my E-Wrap around the circle again, I have doubled back do that the last peg (near the finger inside the circle) and the first peg (near the finger outside the circle) are not connected. My first row wrapped around the loom counter clock-wise and my second row wrapped clock-wise. The last peg will only have one stitch while the rest will have two.

Flat Panels are used for scarves, blankets, pot holders, shawls etc.

Knitting


To knit you need to rows of stitches on each peg as in the picture above. Tip: If you knit the last peg that you wrapped first your yarn will be secured so that you no longer have to hang on to it, giving you two free hands to work with.


Using your hook, slide under the bottom row of stitches.


Lift that bottom stitch up and over both the top stitch and the peg. This is where wrapping too tightly can cause some trouble as it will be to stiff to move quickly and easily.


Here is a completed stitch! As your project forms it will hang down the inside of the loom.

Summary

As I mention at the beginning, these are the basics. there are different types of stitches. And different techniques for casting on and off, increasing and decreasing etc. But truly, if you can handle the basics from above, you can easily learn the rest with just a bit of time!

Respectfully,
Harmony

2 comments:

  1. hello
    where can I buy this kit?
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vania, I picked mine up right at my local Walmart! If you have any questions along the way let me know. I would be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete